2016 Climbing for Clouded Leopards
When: November 10, 2016
Where: Texas Rock Gym
Join the Greater Houston Chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers, GHCAAZK, for the sixth annual Climbing for Clouded Leopards fundraiser at the Texas Rock Gym! Proceeds from this event support clouded leopard research and conservation efforts.
About Clouded Leopards
Clouded leopards are an elusive endangered cat that lives in the Himalayas, southern China, and from Taiwan to peninsula Malaysia. They are amazing climbers and spend lots of time up in the trees. The clouded leopard is known mostly for the beautiful “cloud” pattern on its coat and because they have the longest teeth relative to body size of any living cat!
We’ll be raising money for clouded leopards with a raffle and a silent auction of special paintings by some of the Houston Zoo’s animal artists.
Who We Help
Proceeds will benefit the Bornean Clouded Leopard Programme to assist with radio collaring and camera trap research and conservation efforts. The Borneo Clouded Leopard Programme was founded in January of 2007 to study the behavior and distribution of Bornean wildcats, the effects of habitat destruction on population numbers, and to investigate threats to wild populations from hunting and trade. To learn more about their work, please visit their blog:
Bornean Clouded Leopard Programme Blog
Can't Make it? Donate Online!
If you can’t make it to the event but would like to make a donation to support clouded leopards, you can donate online now:
It doesn't take much to help save Clouded Leopards in the wild! Every little bit counts!
- $10 - $25 will help pay for heavy duty plastic tarps, multipak screwdriver bit sets or dry sacks.
- $30 will buy a sighting compass with mirror.
- $50 - $70 will fund the cost of a 12-litre day sack for research assistants, batteries to power 2 camera traps for 10 months, or a Reconyx protective metal camera enclosure.
- $150 will fund a research assistant in the field for one week.
- $300 will purchase a Garmin GPS 62S.
- $350 will fund a vet in the field for one week.
- $500 will purchase a Reconyx PC800 camera trap.
Thank You to the Texas Rock Gym, who will be donating 50% of all proceeds to the event! They will be offering some membership specials during the event, so if you enjoy the rock climbing you can come back for more, at a discount!
2016 Climbing for Clouded Leopards Committee